Pages

weekend in photos no. 3 - 'remember the love bit'

Wednesday, June 15, 2016


We were driving on a road by the mountains, a route that overlooked the entire valley. It was cloudy & dark clouds hovered above us. It had been raining earlier & the earth smelled sweeter than ever before. My heart had been troubled the whole day. I woke up that morning learning about the tragedy in Orlando. Things like that really affect me & I couldn't keep my mind off of it. I had no peace in my heart & I was worried I would feel troubled & disturbed for the weekend.

My thoughts had been racing the entire day, but I was able to find stillness during the drive by the mountains. Everything was so green & alive. The air was so sweet & fresh you could taste it. We had the windows down, letting the wind blow through our hair. Matt put his hand out the window & then I did the same & we felt the coolness on our faces & hands. It started raining but we kept the windows down & let the rain fall down on us. 

The phrase, 'remember the love bit' ran through my head over & over. It's something Christopher Hitchens, one of my greatest idols, said to a little 8 year old girl at a function about a month before his death, many years ago (video clip here). It was a comforting thing to remember over the weekend, especially with so many people discussing what should be done going forward after this tragedy. Most of the solutions had a political theme. I don't really know if this is a political issue or not, but I do know that it's definitely an issue of the heart.

We could try to blame a law or lack thereof, or a religion, or a group of people, but it doesn't matter. Anyone is capable of hate - it doesn't matter who you are or where you come from. The difference between love & hate is a choice. Love is a radical thing these days. You are seen as weak or a pushover when you show unconditional compassion towards others. Don't listen to these voices. Be a freethinker & love openly & unconditionally. Radical love & freethinking is what the world needs & it needs it more than ever - for the people, for the animals, for the planet.


During that drive, I realized why my mind began to feel at peace again. I chose love. Being with my loving partner, spending lots of time outside, smelling the rain, seeing the green mountains, looking for the beauty in the world, being friendly to strangers, choosing love made me feel okay again & gave me hope. Love is the answer - it's a choice.

No matter what happens in life,

remember the love bit.


Toodles for now,
Kate x




Find me & follow, if it tickles your fancy:

No Comments

Post a Comment

ABSOLUTE © 2016 | Template by Blogs & Lattes