Pages

Feminist Book Haul

Friday, June 3, 2016


At this moment, I am fanning the pages of my new books & breathing in the glorious scent of new book pages. There is nothing more comforting or more nostalgic than the smell of books. I do admit, I have a bad habit of buying new books before I finish the ones already on my bookshelf. I've been doing a little bit better, however, I have been buying at least one new book every month because I joined Emma Watson's feminist book club, Our Shared Shelf, on goodreads.com at the beginning of the year. I've been very behind on the reading because of my mental health & emotional stress, but my passion & desire have not been tapered by my mental health. Recently, I bought a couple books from the book club that I want to read, even though they were books from a couple months back. I also bought a couple books of my own choosing, but still containing a feminist theme (because feminism, babes!) I mean, I already have a passion for reading & I have always been a feminist my whole life, so combining the two are like... ahhh a book-gasm! ;)


I have heard nothing but good things about All About Love: New Visions by bell hooks, & even better things about bell hooks herself. This was the March book for Our Shared Shelf. In this book, she explores what love is & challenging society's view of love simply being a romantic noun. This books sounds like it could be a beautiful & provocative masterpiece. This book interests me the most out of my book haul, so I am beginning the book today! I hope to have it finished by the end of next week. I might even do a book review on Periscope. Follow me there @kate_boheme.


Oh Caitlin, Caitlin, Caitlin. You spunky, loving, incredibly wise woman. Caitlin Moran has quickly become one of my favorite feminist icons. If you ever have time, you need to watch her Moranifestos on YouTube. They are brilliant & have helped me so much in re-claiming my identity as a woman & accepting who I am. Her book How to Be a Woman was the April book for Our Shared Shelf. This will be the first book I've read by Ms Moran, & I have feeling I'm going to love it, as I am already in love with her messages she shares in her videos.


I found Gala Darling's blog earlier this year & fell in love with her & her blog. I see so much of myself in Gala & relate to her personal story so much. I love her style, how she believes in pink, how she believes in magic, how she believes in love. When I saw that she had a book (Radical Self-Love), I knew I had to get it. The month of June is going to be a very emotional one & in the past I have been very self-destructive & self-loathing when I have to face emotional & toxic situations. I know I'm being cryptic here & I hate it when people are cryptic online, but after I read this book in June, I will do a book review + personal story time on my journey towards healing, self-acceptance, & self-love. You will learn that I am a very open human being when it comes to sharing my story & feelings. Make sure to follow me either on social media or on my blog so you can read my future posts.


The last book I got might seem a bit unique. I was watching a YouTube video a couple months ago where the girl explained that she uses natural birth control. She said she found a book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Tori Weschler, she read it & learned about how her female body really works. And with the help of a device called Lady-Comp & her newly-found knowledge & power over her body, she is off unhealthy birth control pills & enjoying a healthy, safe sex life with her partner. Now, natural birth control is not something I would recommend if you aren't with someone in a steady relationship, (because you still need to be cautious of STDs, not just pregnancy) but whether you are trying to avoid pregnancy naturally, or with some type of contraceptive, (i.e. the pill, condoms, IUD, etc) or actually trying to get pregnant, where could you find more empowerment as a woman than understanding & knowing how your ever-intricate & beautiful female body works? They don't teach girls enough in school about how their body works. Many teachers & schools assume the parents will help with some of the educating, but that just isn't the case in most girls' lives. This book teaches you how to chart your cycle so you know when you are ovulating, to know the optimal day for you to get pregnant, it teaches you more than you have ever known about your menstrual cycle, your fluids, even increasing the likelihood of choosing the gender of your baby. I could go on & on about this book & how it's changed my life & helped me re-claim my female body & my sexuality, but I will save that for the book review. I've already learned so much from this book, & I'm not even a quarter of the way through the book.


I am so thrilled to have these books in my personal library now & I am excited to share my thoughts on these books in the future. Follow me on Goodreads here & if it tickles your fancy, join the conversation in Emma Watson's book club here, as well.

Q: Do you have a favorite book that has inspired you as a woman?

You might also like this post: My 2016 Book List

Toodles for now,
Kate x

Find me & follow, if it tickles your fancy:

No Comments

Post a Comment

ABSOLUTE © 2016 | Template by Blogs & Lattes